Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bahn mi on my mind

 http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/9781607745334?width=1000&alt=no_cover_b4b.gif

I have been hearing about bahn mi (pronounced "bun mee") on all my favorite cooking competition shows for quite a while now.  It has always looked fabulous and made me VERY hungry.  When the opportunity to review "The Bahn Mi Handbook" by http://www.randomhouse.com/author/105105/andrea-nguyen came up, I had to jump at the chance.

A bahn mi is a Vietnamese sandwich with some serious French influence.  It is one of the most quintessential street foods you can find in any Vietnamese city.

This book is really comprehensive.  It starts with the author's personal history with the bahn mi and how the sandwich developed in the Vietnamese culture. It then goes on to cover everything you need to make a perfect bahn mi:  bread, sauces, pickles, mayo, cold cuts and other meats, and vegetarian fillings.  Many of the meat and seafood preparations look like they would be fabulous on their own and then the leftovers used in the bahn mi.  There is even a section on alternative ways to prepare your bahn mi, including as a salad.  All the recipes are easy to understand, and look REALLY easy to make.  I even think I could manage the pate. 

After finishing, I started plotting what I was going to make first.  I think my next weekend off I'm going to making some mayo and a jar of daikon and carrot pickle and go to my local Asian market for some Maggi Seasoning Sauce.  My sandwiches will never look the same again.

"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review." 

No comments:

Post a Comment