Monday, September 22, 2014

I got my Sleepy Hollow fix!

http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/9780553419009?width=125&alt=no_cover_b4b.gif

I am an avid viewer of the TV show, Sleepy Hollow.  While eagerly (and not so patiently) waiting for the new season to start, the novel Sleepy Hollow Children of the Revolution by Keith R. A. DeCandido came up for request with Blogging For Books.  How could I resist?  I needed a Sleepy Hollow fix, so I requested it and started reading the day it got to my house.

I am a happy camper!  Basically, Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills have to locate the Congressional Cross that Ichabod was rewarded with (but never actually received) before it can be used to resurrect a nasty witch.  The plot is well written, with nice twists.  Flashbacks are clearly written and logically consistent.  It is very easy to figure out where in the first season of the show that this story fits in.  DeCandido does include historical notes at the end of the story, which is especially nice because he does specifically state where the book does fall in the first season.

The best part of the way this book is written is how DeCandido handles the main characters' perspectives.  When he is writing from Abbie's point of view, he uses very modern language.  When writing from Ichabod's perspective, the language and structure change completely to reflect a Revolutionary-era Englishman's speech.  This keeps with the flavor of the show, and adds to the idiom confusion that is so amusing in the TV show.

All in all, it is a good way to get your Sleepy Hollow fix.  I hope DeCandido writes more of these novels.  I'll be waiting....

"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."  

No comments:

Post a Comment